Most people think that water damage in Lee’s Summit only happens when a pipe breaks and the home is flooded with water. Although this is the case, another form of water damage occurs when gradual leaks lead to accumulation of moisture within the home, which is a perfect breeding ground for mold and mildew.
While it is unlikely that a homeowner could knowingly ignore water damage, in some cases, the situation could go sometimes go unnoticed leading to more damage. Common signs of water damage include peeling paint, loose tiles, a damp carpet, and cupping wood. If you notice such, you should call a professional.
Here are some reasons why you can’t ignore water damage and mold.
Molds thrive in damp areas of the home which is why water damage leads to mold growth. Mold in a basement could be hard to detect since it grows in hidden areas. Ignoring water damage in Lee’s Summit causes mold infestations to spread deep into the home’s structure making it difficult to eliminate it without the help of a professional.
Molds and mildew pose serious health issues especially for people with allergies or asthma. Molds are mostly linked to nasal congestion, respiratory complications, inflammations, and rhinitis.
Water damage in Lee’s Summit causes a significant percentage of property damage. This includes furniture and other items within the home as well as compromising the home’s structural quality. Chronic roof leaks caused wood to deteriorate, rot, and could eventually collapse.
Should your electrical wiring be near the source of the leak, this poses a fire threat due to shorted wires. Should you notice a leak, it is advisable that you turn off any electrical appliances and have the wiring around the affected area examined by a qualified electrician.
Putting off mending a leakage for a long time depletes the insulation on your home. This results in the home losing heat and air at a higher rate, leading to higher energy bills. An unnoticed leak could also result in inflated water bills.
Should you notice leaks within your home, contact a professional for your water damage in Lee’s Summit. Not only will they salvage your property, but professionally dry each item to prevent mold growth in your Lee Summit basement.